Monday 11 May 2009

chasing motor bikes again!!


Have you ever watched a dog chasing a motor bike? He seems to be thinking "Right...taunt me will you? I'll have you!! ....just as soon as I can catch you?" And it's that ...will he....and does he really want to question that tends to makes the chase look rather funny.
Just as I must have looked. Happily walking across a side road junction, I get an impatient beeeeep from the car turning in behind me. It happens! But it was the gesture from the dude behind the wheel that sent me into one! "Right...I'll have you!!" and without a second thought I'm chasing after him, bounding up the road like your favourite martial arts movie hero.
"Ah...you're trying to escape" I think, as he screeches into a side road and I follow.
Then of course the brain begins to point certain things out to me. Man on foot cannot catch Mini Cooper. Man on foot chasing Mini Cooper looks pretty stupid. The looks of disbelief of the thoroughly engrossed onlookers confirms this.

Then yesterday I did it all over again! The first outing in 3 years on the mountain bike saw me understandably slowing a bit on the homeward run. No such understanding though from the wannabee Jeremy Clarkson in his open-topped MG Midget, who after passing, offers me that familiar single-upturned-finger wave! Never one for clever instant repartee, I can only wave back in mock friendly fashion, before thinking "No baldy!! (still waiting for some clever repartee) ...you ain't telling me where to get off!" And I chase him! Yes I chase him on my mountain bike (un-used in 3 years) and him in his MG Midget. I didn't catch him!
Yet as I turn up the hill towards home, despite the rasping lungs... and the ironic encouragement from a concerned neighbour...and the burning legs that refused to lift me from the saddle.... I feel soooo pleased with myself. For a minute I had been Segal, Van Damme & Chan all in one! I'd shown him!
Later on, in a reflective moment, I did wonder how often in life we may duck a challenge because we think it's too tough or because we believe the competition is too strong? Because when we do, we miss out on the enormous fun and great satisfaction there is in believing that we can... and having a real go!
We don't always have to "catch the motor bike."

1 comment:

  1. That made me chuckle, Bob! Great images. :) And I like your thinking: Believe you can and have a real go. Nice one.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete