Sunday 9 August 2009

Going nowhere? Not us!!!

I read in a recent sunday paper about the appointment of Rachel Johnson as Editor of The Lady magazine. She explained her quest to realign the magazine with its target readership and was quoted saying "These days many older people still see themselves as youthful. We need to be reflecting that back at them." Another memorable quote which I thought really captured her view is "more hip...less hip replacement!" Brilliant! Totally aligned with the mission of "OnWeGo!"

Prompted by my 65th's cream cakes in the office day, I got into conversation with a colleague about plans to carry on working. I took the opportunity to explain the aims of "OnWeGo!" talking about "us wrinklies" and the huge contribution we can continue to make in work and life. My pal's attitude was a bit of a surprise. "But you have to make way for the young coming in!" he reasoned; adding "How else will they get their opportunity?"
His remarks did make me think back to my days in Local Goverment, when in my mid-twenties I decided that the progression culture of "experience and seniority" wasn't for me. I left a good job, happy to start on the bottom rung of a career in sales. I felt then that it was totally wrong to use age as a criterion for opportunity...for me it was ability and application that mattered. And guess what? 40 years later I feel the same way!!!

So returning to Rachel Johnson's quote. My take on this is that we should believe and act as if life's opportunities are as equally available and rewarding as ever, and that our capabilities to secure them are as effective and powerful as ever! Believing that if we don't behave in this purposeful way then we send a message to the mind and in turn the body that says "We're going nowhere.....you can step it down a bit now!" Because guess what? That message gets heard...neuro-transmitters switch off...memory systems shut down...faculties stop working!


So don't worry about dwindling pension funds..

Stop fretting about delayed retirement dates....
Bring on those opportunities.....
.....it's "Power to the people!!!".....(of any age.)




No comments:

Post a Comment