Saturday 7 November 2009

Look at me mother...I'm a book reviewer!

"A big thanks to Bob Howard-Spink, who deserves a special mention for painstakingly reading the drafts and testing my techniques on the range. Your help, feedback and advice has been invaluable."
 Roy Palmer

What?    Yes that's right.... I am posting an author's acknowledgement.... to me!!! Yes me.

And I'm crowing about it because I really am chuffed to bits. I have always wanted to be one of those "invaluable" people that gets mentioned in the Acknowledgments. I think it goes back to childhood when I thought that to be acknowledged must have meant that you had lots of knowledge. And to be honest,  throughout life I've never been a great reader and so the Acknowledgements were the only part of a book I was certain to read.
Which is why it was all the more surprising, flattering and I guess a bit daunting to be asked by Roy to run a golfer's eye over the draft of his forthcoming book Golf Sense...and me only a 24 handicapper as well!
I must say that Roy's ideas in the book are terrific. Apologies to any non-golfers but one technique that  helped me so much deals with getting into the zone prior to backswing. I've always been aware that I think too much about starting the backswing, and so it becomes a highly conscious attempt at moving hands, arms, shoulders and pretty much everything else in a vague up and down path. No wonder I never progressed much below 24 handicap!!
But not now!  A big thank you Roy!  For the golf improvement but also for giving me a crack at book reviewing and adding another entry on my "I never thought I'd be doing this" list.
OnWeGo is all about promoting the "keep it going....do something new" spirit and looking for opportunities to fulfill that spirit, at a time of life when we could be reaching for the jigsaw puzzles or watching day time TV.  It's about doing something that you'd never seen yourself doing. It's about recognising that we've got talents that others will appreciate. And it's about the enormous satisfaction derived from beating your "personal best" in life and getting thanks and appreciation in the process. Why shouldn't the rest of your life be the best of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment