Friday 22 January 2010

I think I can remember when I couldn't catch a cricket ball!

Trajectory projection! That was my mistake. All these years I never knew why in sport I couldn't deal with a moving ball of any size. Seeing feats like the "The Catch" by Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series never helped.  Mays turns his back and seeming to predict the ball's flight path, he races to the fence, catching the ball over his shoulder.  Current collaborative research in virtual reality labs in universities in New Zealand and North Carolina is discovering the reasons behind May's success and my failure. It's fascinating to learn that it was to do with "optical acceleration cancellation" (OAC) and "linear optical trajectory" (LOT) and not just about me being useless at sport.


I do admit I'd lost a bit of my appetite for scientific research!  I read recently that my daily dose of Ginko Biloba was doing nothing for short memory. But I could have told them that!
But now I'm greatly encouraged and once again enthusiastic about it. And again would give credit to escience news ....especially for this week's gem. It seems that contrary to popular belief ageing does not necessarily bring on memory depletion. In fact the opposite seems to apply. "A new study has found promising evidence that the older brain's weakened ability to filter out irrelevant information may actually give aging adults a memory advantage over their younger counterparts. A long line of research has already shown that aging is associated with a decreased ability to tune out irrelevant information."
So the good news (I think)  is that we remember more. The bad news is that it tends to be irrelevant.
Oh dear! Is that when we start to take forever to get to the point and get sidetracked in prolonged reminiscing.
Never mind. It's not all bad news. The other research article they published is that us older guys can see off the young dudes when it comes to holding our drink. Way to go wrinklies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment