Thursday 1 April 2010

How good a grand-parent am I?

I caught part of the interview on this morning's breakfast TV covering the launch of Family Life A grandparent's guide to supporting families through difficult times. Published by the charitable organisation GrandparentPLus, the guide offers tips and advice on how to handle all the "difficult issues" that can arise within the parent, grand-parent and child relationship.
My first reaction as I watched this was of slight surprise. I asked myself  "Do grand-parents need advice on how to fulfill their role?  Am I nothing less than supremely wise in all aspects of being a parent and grand-parent?"


Further reflection had me seeing it differently.  Of course as a parent I would have been nothing like as certain of my abilities. And the grand-parent wisdom thing is a lot to do with not being accountable. Whatever you do and say, you don't live with its consequences... because come going-home time you give the little ones back.
And personally speaking...having got off to an early start  as both parent and grand-parent, I find that these days my behaviour and attitudes have a decidely "retro" feel about them. Possibly a reaction to the missed opportunities of my youth? 
So for all sorts of reasons some of us grand-parents will be anything but wise elders. Frequently causing untold anguish to our long-suffering children who silently tolerate us because of a mixture of love and commonsense realisation that we're pretty handy at times.
I think what the guide tells us is that grand-parenting needs to be taken seriously... and stumbling around intuitively may not be good enough!. Clearly what it does give is valuable advice on how to handle those difficult issues and a big thanks for that to GrandparentsPlus.
So I shall be reading the downloaded guide. I've had a quick look and here are Editor Denise Robertson's Top 10 Tips:
  1. Your opinion counts, so be careful how you give it.
  2. Try to keep communicating, even when it’s difficult.
  3. Remember to listen, sometimes that’s enough.
  4. Know what the boundaries are and don’t overstep them.
  5. Respect and try to understand each other’s point of view.
  6. Focus on the children.
  7. In disputes try to be on the side of the family as a whole.
  8. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
  9. Remember your needs matter too.
  10. Try to enjoy being a grandparent – it is different and special.
 I'm having lunch on Easter Sunday with all the family. Not a difficult occasion of course (unless the ex turns up!)  But to live and learn what these Top 10 Tips mean I shall print them off and "assess" myself.
 I shall report back in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment