Tuesday 28 July 2009

where's my bus pass???


That's it! It's official! I'm an O.A.P!!!! Yesterday was the 65th birthday.
But like any previous birthday of mine it's still enjoyed in that traditional childlike manner. I was awake early, causing some annoyance and confusion to Lynda. Then a few choruses of Happy Birthday to me jogged her memory and a sleepy "Happy birthday Hon!" wafted out from under the duvet.
After a birthday cup of tea in bed, which Lynda thought was a nice gesture on my part, cards were ripped open over breakfast. Funny isn't it how you still want to shake them in case a postal order for 10 shillings drops out. Greetings were a mix of love, respect, nostalgia, and inevitable comic ageism, and a special mention must go to my great friend Miriam who thought it was my 60th!! That's what friends are for.
The family were dropping in at 2.00 for "birthday cake and glass of wine" (the proper birthday bash is an alfresco dinner next Saturday.. probably under the awning!) and Lynda joined me in "big kid mood" pinning up balloons and banners.
When the heavens opened at 1.55, I thought to myself "show some concern....go and pick up some of the girls and boys." I knew nothing about prior arrangements for lifts and couldn't understand the confused look I got from son-in-law Simon as our cars passed. Of course, once we all converged at my place they all quickly blamed "the silly old fart" for confusing everybody.
That episode apart, the silverback was shown much respect from all, apart from Simon...but he can't really help himself. I did smile though when he absent-mindedly kicked over a glass of wine and went very quiet. And I got a brilliant present. Memory slippers...and they really work. With my memory slippers on I can now go into another room and remember why I went in there. They're amazing! I'd never previously understood why you see old boys out shopping in their slippers. Now I do. They're wearing their memory slippers so they can remember how to get home.
It was a great afternoon of doughnuts, Lambrini and dolly mixtures shared with the nearest and dearest. And for a while I forgot it was my birthday and found myself quietly watching the kids. "R" and "M" the little un's, engrossed in their magical world of play where they write the lines for us to act. "E" and "C" who always seemed to fall out but are now best mates in their privately shared world of Super Nintendo. Grandson "J," 13 years old but still eager to compress his near 6 ft frame and play cars with the little 'uns. Grand-daughter "J," now a proud mum herself, grown up and wise. Then a gusty chorus of "Happy Birthday to you" reminded me that I was meant to be centre stage!

Later that evening, I worked out why I continue to get this childlike excitement, and why I was pre-occupied watching the kids. It's because for me, birthdays aren't simply about reaching milestones or completing stages in your life. They're about starting new stages.

Do you remember how as kids we used to look forward to the day "when I'll be big enough to do that?" We saw birthdays as enabling events. My philosophy is that every birthday should be approached with that same sense of anticipation and new opportunity.
....Now where did I leave my memory slippers????

No comments:

Post a Comment