Monday 28 December 2009

Curing those post-christmas blues...


Here we are then....December 27th and the annual bout of post Christmas blues has kicked in. When counselling me this morning, Lynda asked "If you had to choose between a holiday in the sun or Christmas, which would you choose?"  "Easy" I said. "I could give up my annual holiday and I often have, but I could never give up Christmas!

What is it that makes Christmas so special to us?  For the believers amongst us there is of course only one answer to that.  For the
"semi and non" believers I guess we would talk about getting together with family and friends...the christmas presents we exchange...and all the food and drink that we feast on.     Once upon a time we would also have talked about the great programmes on TV.  No likelihood of that this year with the depression rendering plots of Eastenders and the oh so lost it The Royle Family occupying prime-time viewing slots on Christmas Night.
Speaking for myself I love everything about Christmas...particularly the preparation and the anticipation. Starting on December 1st and decorating the tree and the house in a totally camp way. Buying gifts and stocking-fillers  for every one. Watching the expressions of delight on Christmas morning. I love the feasting part too...including the excesses of sweets and nuts and Christmas cake. I do wonder about the tin of Christmas biscuits though that just sits on the side...but it wouldn't be Christmas without it.
And it wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't get that inevitable attack of post-christmas melancholy!  After all the anticipation and then the emotional frenzy of Christmas Day, it seems to abruptly come to an end.  I try various self-help remedies...like arranging my opened presents back under the tree as if Santa has yet to visit???? .....it doesn't really help!
I had always put my post-christmas blues down to the fact that I simply enjoyed all the anticipation. What I better understand now is that decorating the house for the admiration of visiting loved ones, cooking them the pre-christmas pasta, giving them presents that hopefully please are ways in which I can show the extent of my feelings. Knowing that if I attempted to say it in words, that I would get totally emotional and fill up....just as I do when watching that final scene of Elf with Will Ferrell when the crowd in Central Park need to sing to get Santa's sleigh to fly!!!  (Another essential part of the pre-christmas build up!)
And I reckon it's the same for most of us. Whatever are our beliefs or reasons for celebrating Christmas, it is that unique period in the year when not only do we share expressions of goodwill....but we also find a way to tell those we love...just how much we do. Then we stop...no wonder we feel melancholy!
So come on then.....to cure those post-christmas blues....carry on wishing others "all the best!" and telling people what they really mean to you. OnWeGo!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment