Thursday 6 May 2010

The end of mankind as I know it!

To get a view of how the papers were covering the election I thought I'd scan some on-line newspapers. I started with The New York Times. I like to get an outside perspective on our news....and yes....I do like to mention in conversation "I read it in the New York Times!"
Anyway...after reading some objective as well as rather concerning opinion on the election and what lies in store for us afterwards, I switched to The Daily Mail On-Line.
Here the headline stories were....
Victoria Beckham voted World's most glamorous celebrity!
Abby Clancy leads line up of WAGs to launch World Cup shirts!
Alex Curran puts on united front with husband Steven Gerrard!
Queen of  the WAGS Coleen Rooney cheers on Wayne as he's named Man Utd's Player of the Year!"

Now let me be clear about where I stand when it comes to women! It is in awe! I love em! I admire and support them. Respect them and do my best to treat them respectfully. I enjoy all the opening of car doors stuff etc...although doing that used to seriously upset a feminist I was once dating.
But I just don't get this WAG thing? Why do the girls get more air time than the guys!
I do wonder if it's maybe a generation thing on my part? Being a 60's celebrant I know that back then it was all about the exploits of Bobby, Geoff, Martin and the lads on the back pages. What the wives were doing didn't make any of the pages. Although I guess there weren't too many £20,000 handbags to be found in the shops down the Barking Road.
So am I a social throwback to an age of chivalry and gallantry?
Prhaps there is an answer to that chivalrous era question in this 1943 publication of  Transport Magazine. It offers advice to managers on how to treat women recruited in wartime into traditionally men's jobs. The advice included these priceless gems:
"If you can get them, pick young married women......they usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious..."
"General experience indicates that "husky" girls...those that are a little on the heavy side, are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters."
"Give a girl adequate rest periods. You have to make allowance for feminine psychology...a girl is more confident and efficient if she can keep her hair tidied and apply fresh lipstick..."
"Get enough size variety in operator's uniform so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point cannot be stressed too much in keeping women happy!"
Hardly chivalrous gallantry was it?  Nope...Looks like I was the product of a pretty mysogynistic society.  I've just got to accept that emancipation has finally arrived. Aphrodite has given way to Coleen.
And she is happy to open car doors for herself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment