Friday 14 May 2010

Look for the hero!

I just watched a trailer for the new Stallone movie The Expendables. Brilliant! A handful of good guys overcoming all the odds and winning against overwhelming numbers of bad guys.
Can you imagine better role models for OnWeGo than Stallone, Willis, Arnie and Micky Rourke...showing that they can keep up with young sproggs like Statham and Li and play the full on all action hero!!
And why not? No. I'm not saying let's all learn martial arts and go and kick arse anywhere in the world. But I definitely am saying that we keep on doing what we do for as long as we can do it well.
Although thinking about it some more....what's wrong with heroes and alter egos?
As kids we certainly would have had heroes that at times would become our alter egos. When I pulled on the goal-keeper's jersey at Old Oak JM School I became Frank Swift the towering England goalkeeper. Being Frank helped me to get back out between those posts after each heavy defeat.  Because being frank... as Bobby Spink I was rubbish! 
And don't let on.... but Steven Segal became my alter ego when I took up Tai Chi 5 years ago. Left to my own devices I would never had endured the throws and punches we had to practice. 
Heroes or role models are great at resolving issues or making decisions. Not for you...but with you as your alter-ego. Next time you face a difficult decision ask yourself who would be good at handling this. Maybe you'd choose Stallone....Spike Milligan...even Simon Cowell?? Just step into their shoes and say "right...how are we going to deal with this?"
Having an alter-ego can keep you imaginative...and make you laugh. As was the case when imagining myself as a Sioux brave and wanting an appropriate name...Lynda came up with Sleeps with the wind. 
Heroes are also great for your self-esteem. Especially when you learn that you are one in the eyes of somebody else. As I did when hearing that Grandson James had chosen me as his hero in a school essay. OK he did keep some balance by mentioning my sun-burnt pate when playing golf! 
But perhaps as important for  your self-esteem is being a hero in your own eyes. Feeling good about yourself. Being proud of what you have achieved. And maybe most of all...Looking for new ways to make others proud of you.  
Right...must go. Got to bust a Colombian drug cartel before lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment