Friday 30 July 2010

Let's just get on with it!

You can't help liking Mayor of London Boris Johnson.
He is what I call a "Go for it" as opposed to a "better not." You know what I mean? Some of us will have a go at things. We have an instinctive feeling that this is the right thing to do. We know we should look into it more and be better prepared... but that if we did we would delay matters when there is more than enough good to come from just getting on with it.  And all of that wonderful "Go for it" attitude is reflected in today's launch announced by Boris of a brilliant cycling scheme for London. Although admitting that "things aren't fully in place and there will be teething problems!" it is up and running. A network of 400 docking stations within the capital with 6000 cycles available at a daily hire charge of £1 providing Londoners with a healthy and carbon free commute to work.
This particular "Go for" initiative probably grabs my interest because it's about bikes. And buying my bike for my 54th birthday when I hadn't ridden one for 40 years was probably my very first "Go for it" that launched me into the OnWeGo idea.
"Go for its" don't particularly get on with "better nots." "Better nots" generally tend to see the problems in things and avoid doing them. In fact they seem to avoid doing most things. Although they do seem pretty good at booing from the sidelines when a "Go for it" is having a go at something. And they are great at giving post-mortems when "Go for it" ideas crash.  They worry too much about others watching them and what they will be thinking. And they let this hold them back and limit their enjoyment of life.
Worryingly...I'm sure as we mature we can gradually morph into "Better nots!"
"Better not change my job to something I really want to do!"
"Better not start up that on-line business idea I've got!"
"Better not sign up for that writing course.!"
"Better not take up martial arts!"
"Better not wear my shorts on the bike!!!!"
 And you know what the remedy is for that don't you.....as Boris demonstrated when with hair and jacket akimbo he waved the Olympic Flag at the Bejing closing ceremony....just go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment