Thursday 15 July 2010

The Power of alternative therapy

I like to think that I'm open minded about alternative therapy. Not gullible...open minded and suitably informed! I certainly believe that we can sort out most of what ails us just by getting our head in the right place. That belief was introduced to me 40 years ago by a Harley Street Consultant Neurologist. He "confessed" that 50% of diagnoses are probable rather than certain. That 50% of ailments we self-cure when we believe that we're on the mend. And that half of his job therefore was about creating that positive belief!
I guess I'm also a bit of an oriento-phile. Probably due to those early Kung-Fu movies etc. But I'm convinced that oriental medicine has lots to offer. Again a belief instilled by a conventional medic. That was 25 years ago when the consultant anaesthetist at my local hospital was treating my slipped disc with acupuncture...and distracted my attention from the needles with enthusiastic tales of his studies in China.
All of which made me an easy convert to the health benefits of Tai Chi and Qigong.
Under the patient guidance of Burni at NorthantsTai-Chi I "mastered" the short square form which gets an outing most mornings.  He also explained the cause behind the health effect... and this is my recall not his explanation - basically each movement is massaging the blood flow (thats's the chi or energy) and the lymphatic system flow all around the body. Plus there is some stimulation of the meridians ...that's the acupuncture bit! But there is loads of stuff on the web that explains it. Including a noteable address to the Press Club of Canada in 2008 by the Medical adviser to the International Taoist Tai Chi Society. With endorsements from health professionals across the world he includes amongst the benefits of Tai Chi:
a moderate cardiovascular training exercise...also has a significant effect on lung function.
• can beneficially alter the lipid profile.
• has been shown to improve the activities of daily living for people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis - to name a few.
• helps regulate the immune system.
• helps postural alignment and helps reduce spinal degeneration.
• is a weight bearing exercise, which possibilitybenefits for maintaining bone density.
• is rated as a highly effective exercise for prevention of falls in the elderly - (close to my heart this one - balance problems...what with no reflexes since the disc op'!)
So a definite big tick for the proven benefits of Tai Chi!
But I must own up to one possible gullibilityAnd that's for magnetic therapy!
Not just single...but multiple magnetic therapy!  Such is the power of the force I emit that what I thought was a stumbly moment when getting out of my car recently was actually magnetic attraction towards adjacent parked vehicles! 

I'm not sure what the attraction is (sorry!)
It may be that I simply do have an open and inquiring mind?
It may be because it actually does seem to have cured my suspected gout?
It may be because apparently..it cures my balance problem and I can now stand on one leg?
Or it may just be because of an inexplicable senior urge to behave oddly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment