Friday 1 October 2010

Keep challenging those life long beliefs

I'm going to my Aunty Ada's funeral next Wednesday. She was 95 bless her! I didn't see her much in recent years but I certainly remember visiting her when I was a kid!
And two things always instantly come to mind:
Digestive biscuits ...dipping into the ever available tin of rejects bought from the McVities biscuit factory where she worked.
Laughing ...all the time, at her often outrageous observations on people and life ...offered with essential amounts of "Eff 'ing and blinding!"
The influence others have on us when we are small was discussed in an article I read on Tuesday.  
It reported on research carried out by Notre Dame Psychology Professor Darcia Narvaez into changes in the child rearing practices that shape the people we become in later life. And makes the point that well-being and moral sense are potential casualties of some of the changes that are happening.
The full findings which will be presented later this month at Notre Dame included some that came as no surprise ...but one or two that did. 
Such as you can't spoil a baby! I'd always argued against picking them up too much, and in favour of letting them cry. Wrong answer! Apparently crying causes the release of toxic chemicals into the brain. Professor Narvaez's research say we should be comforting the baby and keeping its brain calm at a time when it is forming its personality.
Such questioning of the things we've always believed can leave you in a bit of a quandry when it comes to offering seasoned wisdom.
Because we do believe those things that we have always believed to be true. Those things that someone (usually Gran) told us before we had even asked the question. Things like:
"Appearance really does count" - Which probably explains why the current fashion to be tie less annoys me!
"It's rude to interrupt" - Yes, I do tend to yawn a bit when in conversation.
"Manners maketh the man! - Clearly reflected in my obsessional and occasionally irritating habits of:- holding doors open for people, refusing to start a meal until everyone is sat at the table, and staring aghast at people who sniff!
Yet I'm happy to offer out my wisdom without qualification. And as my daughter reminded me this week ..."as Silverback my opinions are noted!"
So maybe seasoned wisdom is about occasionally questioning those deeply held beliefs.
Not just because we share them with others. But because we listen to them ourselves  -especially those self-limiting ones. Those ones that stop you from doing new things ...just because!! 
So no disrespect Gran. But to be true to OnWeGo beliefs I think we may have to look at one or two of yours, especially  "Accept where you are in life and be grateful."
But I tell you what Gran.  Aunty Ada was absolutely right with what she taught me - Compared to McVities those other Digestives are xxxxxxg rubbish !  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment