Friday 22 October 2010

Now where was I? Because it was good!

It's been a strange week in the absent-mindedness department!
Monday it was the mislaid camera charger. Having got several people searching in the different places where I insisted it would be found - I then find it hooked over the office door handle.  Everyone seemed pleased for me!
Tuesday I discover that my red polo shirt has been stolen over-night from my washing line. I work out how with trellis and posts I can extend the height of the garden fence and improve security between me and the adjacent open plot. 
Wednesday - I find red polo shirt in the laundry basket!
Thursday, after shopping for provisions and settling back at my desk, the previously-left-behind shopping list reminds me that my salmon and mackeral need to go in the 'fridge. Three circuits of the house later and with no sign of the orange plastic bag a return trip to Sainsbury's is in prospect. Thinking I'm low on milk I check the 'fridge.  I am puzzled! I already have some salmon and mackeral? Why did I buy some more?  I was obviously experiencing some form of denial.
So I decided it would be a good idea to have a quick refresher on the causes and cures of absent mindedness.
First stage of self-diagnosis. Is my problem Retrospective remembering - forgetting whether or not I have done something?  Or Prospective remembering - forgetting to do something ahead of me? Not sure I can narrow it down really as symptons exist under both headings.
So I crack on with the research, and it comes up with some familiar results - which in itself I think is an encouraging sign!  Also encouraging is the suggestion that absent-mindedness is really just a form of intensely focused concentration! 
I particularly like the suggestions offered on howstuffworks Some very practical tips like:
Get organized.
Make lists and calendars and use them.
Have a set place to keep things and stick to it.
Keep all key information in one place.
When remembering dates, 'phone numbers etc., repeat them several times until they stick.
Focus on one thing at a time.
All useful tips on how to manage so called absent-mindeness - rather than trying to stop it.
And I think that's absolutely the right attitude.
Ask any creative genius and they'll tell you that their best thoughts come whilst in a trance. Try to find an old rocker who isn't convinced he wrote his best stuff while in "another place."
So what's all the fuss about ....we're in our own "another place"
It's legal. It's free. And we're doing our best stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment